Caring for a Senior with Alzheimer’s in Mesa
Caring for a senior with Alzheimer’s in Mesa is now a public health issue. Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disorder that affects memory, thinking, and behavior. It is the most common cause of dementia among older adults. Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by the abnormal build-up of proteins in the brain, which leads to the death of brain cells and a decline in cognitive function.
Caring for a senior with Alzheimer’s disease in Mesa, Arizona can be challenging, but there are several steps you can take to help ensure their safety and well-being:
5 Ways to Care for a Senior with Alzheimer’s in Mesa
- Create a safe and supportive environment: Make sure the home is free of hazards, such as loose rugs or electrical cords. Install locks on cabinets containing cleaning supplies or medications. Consider using technology, such as a home monitoring system or automatic pill dispenser, to assist with care. This is truly senior care 101.
- Maintain a routine: Establish a daily routine for the senior to follow. This can help reduce confusion and anxiety, which are common symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Make sure to include regular exercise, social interaction, and activities that the senior enjoys. Routine is paramount with a loved one dealing with memory issues. More so those with dementia or Alzheimer’s.
- Communicate effectively: Speak slowly and clearly, and use simple words and phrases. Avoid asking open-ended questions that may be difficult for the senior to answer. Use visual aids, such as pictures or written instructions, to help with communication.
- Seek support & professionals: Caregiving can be stressful, so it’s important to seek support from family, friends, or a professional caregiver. Join a support group for caregivers of individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or seek the help of a professional care provider who is experienced in Alzheimer’s care. A caregiver that is certified in dementia and Alzheimer’s can take the strain off care and family.
- Stay informed: Learn as much as you can about Alzheimer’s disease and how it affects the senior you are caring for. Stay up-to-date on the latest research and treatment options, and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.By following these steps and working closely with healthcare professionals such as Leading Edge Senior Care you can help ensure that seniors living with Alzheimer’s disease in Mesa, Arizona receive the best possible care and support. Want more on Alzheimer’s? Click here!